Junior Canadian Adventure and Culture CampCanadian and Indigenous culture | life, social and outdoor skills development | swimming | hiking | camping | ESL options
While building aptitude in the English language through immersive and experiential instruction, international students are offered a quintessential Canadian camping experience, coupled with fun and interesting urban adventuring. Our students are also provided the opportunity to share in a language and cultural exchange with Canadian kids their age, providing the ability to develop a deeper understanding of Canadian culture and to create lasting friendships.
Dates: July 3 to July 27, 2018
Ages: 8-13 (Co-ed)
NON ESL Price: Early bird (before December 16, 2017) $4,399 CDN + 5% tax. Regular $4,599 CDN + 5% tax.
ESL Price: Early bird (before December 16, 2017) $4,599 CDN + 5% tax. Regular $4,799 CDN + 5% tax.
Includes food, accommodation, airport pick up and drop-off, group camping gear, parent contact, weekly field trips and transportation during the program. Does not include flight and some optional activities.
For those participating in the ESL package, the price includes over 30 hours of English language instruction and pre and post language assessments and report.
Locations: Vancouver, Whistler, Cultus Lake, Squamish, Howe Sound/Halkett Bay Provincial Park, Golden Ears Provincial Park, Alice Lake Provincial Park, North Vancouver
Core Educational and Recreational Elements: English language instruction, Canadian and Indigenous culture, life, social and outdoor skills development, swimming, hiking, camping and more.
Additional Program Details
- Navigo staff will be welcoming all campers at Vancouver International Airport.
- By integrating Canadian kids with Navigo campers through shared programming, a platform for a cultural and language exchange is formed.
- Trained Navigo staff and teachers provide ongoing support and allow time for campers to acclimatize to their new environment and the adventure that awaits them!
- Navigo staff are dedicated 24-7 throughout the program to assist campers.
- Students are provided ample time to visit the best sites Vancouver and explore what the surrounding areas have to offer.
- Residential camp is a quintessential Canadian experience, providing a real glimpse into Canadian culture.
Sea to Sky Gondola
Halkett Bay Provincial Park
Squamish and Alice Lake Provincial Park
Golden Ears Provincial Park
Cultus Lake Waterpark
Detailed Trip Plan (tentative)
(Includes formal English instruction for those selecting ESL package)
July 3, 2018: North Vancouver, Camp Capilano
- Arrivals into Vancouver (YVR)
- Move into cabins and brief camp orientation
- Dinner and evening camp games (for those arriving earlier)
- Juice and snack for late arrivals
- Campers encouraged to get some rest
July 4, 2018: North Vancouver, Camp Capilano
- Canadian classic breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Tour of camp & call/email home
- First Nations acknowledgement of the territory the youth are visiting
- English diagnostic test followed by 1.5 hour English lesson
- Swim test at pool
- Group and individual photos
- Day hike in nearby forest
- Bag inspection (making sure everyone has what they will need)
- Team building games and activities
- 25 day program review and group contract
- Opening campfire
July 5, 2018: North Vancouver & Halkett Bay Provincial Park
- Morning English lesson (2 hours)
- Canadian Quick Facts (what is true and not so true about Canada and Canadians)
- Camp Activity Options: improvisation, swimming, foraging, painting
- Camp wide activity (capture the flag)
- Evening English lesson (1 hour)
- Evening water taxi to Halkett Bay on Gambier Island
- Set up tents and campsite
- Campfire (smores night)
July 6-8, 2018: Halkett Bay Provincial Park
- Fishing off the dock
- Forest hiking including hike to Mount Artaban (highest peak on island)
- Swimming in the Pacific Ocean
- Basic wolderness skill activities and leadership training
- Wilderness cooking
- ESL lessons and projects (1.5 – 2 hours per day)
July 9, 2018: Whistler, Fireside Lodge
- Up early and pack up
- Water taxi back to Horseshoe Bay
- Bus trip Whistler (1.5 hours)
- Move into Fireside Lodge
- Showers and laundry
- Evening English lesson (2 hours)
- Ice cream at Creekside
- Movie night
July 10-16, 2018: Whistler, Fireside Lodge
- Morning English lessons (1.5 hours per day)
- Daily swims at Alta Lake and field activities
- Explore Whistler Village and Olympic sites
- Bracelet and necklace making
- Road hockey and ultimate frisbee lessons
- Review of Canada’s 150 years – geography, history and people
- Ice skating lesson
- Opportunity to go shopping
- Visit Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre
- Hike to Rainbow Lake to play in the snow
- Opportunity for campers to sign up for specialized Whistler activities that are not included, such as zip-trekking and Peak-to-Peak Gondola.
July 17-19, 2018: Squamish, Alice Lake Provincial Park
- Up early, pack up and drive to Squamish (45 minutes)
- ESL lessons (1.5 hours per day)
- Visit Sea to Sky Gondola (lunch at the top)
- Explore Squamish
- Visit Evans Lake and connect with Canadian kids
July 20-22, 2018: Maple Ridge, Golden Ears Provincial Park
- Up early and drive to Golden Ears
- Set up tents
- ESL preparation exam
- Fort building
- Hike to waterfalls and daily swimms at Alouette Lake
- Day visit to Cultus Lake waterpark
- Daily ESL lessons (1.5 hours per day)
July 23-26, 2018, North Vancouver, Camp Capilano
- Up early, pack up and drive to Camp Capilano
- Participte in a week long themed cooking camp called Forest Gourmet Children’s Camp with other Canadian campers of the same age. Partner organization: Sprouting Chef
- Full week of cultural and language immersion
- Participte in adventure camp activities such as swimming, hiking, forest games and team building activities
- Visit Ambelside Park for a sunset ceremony, hike Grouse Grind, visit Stanley Park and ther popular Vancouver attractions.
- Graduation dinner
- Final ESL exams and assessments
July 27, 2018
- Morning hike and end of camp ceremony
- Travel to airport and dropp off baggage
- Opportunity to go shopping for late departures